The weather has finally begun to feel like summer in Nova Scotia. For most of June the temperatures have stayed at a cool, 15 degrees, give or take…and I was beginning to wonder just when summer would happen. I guess I shouldn’t question mother nature. Here it is Canada Day weekend, and it’s a whopping 30 degrees. It is HOT.
Usually I’d complain, or wish for snow. I’m actually more of a winter girl myself. But for my kids, summer is where it’s at! They thrive in the heat, they love being out in the sun, but mostly, they love being at the beach!
We have already visited the beach twice this season. And both of my boys enjoyed every second. Since this year will be a ‘staycation’ kind of year for our family, day trips will be what keeps our summer full of fun, and memories.
Here is my top 5 list of things to do well on ‘Staycation’.
- Go to the Beach: Keep a beach bag packed and ready to go. When dinner is done but the humidity is far from gone, a quick evening trip to the beach is sure to take help cool you down. Also, all that running around is the best way to make sure your kids get a great night sleep! Don’t forget the sunscreen.
- Go Camping: Weather it is in your own back yard or at the local campground. An inexpensive way to get the family together for some rest and relaxation.
- Nature Walks: On the not so humid days, find a trail and start walking! Pack a picnic, a blanket some sunscreen and your camera. Maybe some binoculars and a notepad and pen. Take pictures off all the things in nature you see, and take notes. That way you can come home and research them online. Fun and educational.
- Sleepovers!: Let your kids plan the fun. They can invite their school friends over for a BBQ and sleep over! No one says you have to wait for a birthday to have a party!
- Stay at a local hotel: Just for fun, find a great rate using one of those reduced hotel rate sites and plan a mini getaway! Just make sure it has a breakfast bar and a pool and you’re sure to have lots of fun.